Tuesday, April 14, 2009

General Mills love the Children!




This website is about General Mills' Box Top for Education incentive.
Box Top for education is basically ways for schools to earn funding by having their students buy General Mills cereal products and in turn when the box tops are redeemed, and a percentage of the money, normally 10 cents for every box top, will be given back!

The thing I love about General Mills is that they are always looking for ways to reach new consumers, but at the same time give back or help educate the world on important issues. Since people will already be buying cereal for their kids, why not help out the schools by giving them a fun and simple way for them to earn extra funding for whatever they choose?

Some other great things that have come from this program are that other companies have followed suit and gotten involved. There are now several websites that come from this page that donate a portion of your purchase to your school and have teamed up with Barnes and Noble to put a greater focus on reading and having more books in libraries. General Mills didn't care about getting their name out but instead helped find new ways to help the cause they started! To this day they have earned over $250 million for schools all over the U.S.

This website about one of GM's great incentive programs definitely helps my argument about how ethical they are because it shows what a giving company they are. Their plan is not one like coke rewards or other "buy and possibly win" propaganda games, but instead has a solid method of giving back with no trickery or possibility of losing.

On top of the box top incentive, they also have contests for schools to compete in to gain even more funding without the purchase of any General Mills products being necessary. This program is designed to recognize and reward outstanding schools in the U.S. and is another great way for them to send a positive message through their products.

I always collected box tops when I was in elementary school and had no idea that they came from any specific brand of product. After all of the research I have done on my company it is getting easier and easier for me to like them because every site is just more proof of how ethical and moral they really are!

Go Box Tops!


4 comments:

  1. I definitely remember collecting box tops when I was younger and taking a bag full to school with me. My mom always collected them for me and sent them with me so I had no clue they were from a specific brand of food. This is such a great example of what an ethical company that General Mills really is. General Mills has set a wonderful example for the other companies out there to start getting involved and helping out the schools all across America. I am an Elementary Education major and I know how much the schools need and are grateful about receiving the money. I have a feeling that the box tops have a date on them that says they have to be in by a certain time, is that correct? If so, you should dig further and figure out what their reasoning is behind this. Is it because it keeps them from having to donate even more money to the schools? Also, how can General Mills afford to do this as a company?

    General Mills has really created a positive way of portraying their service to the entire country.

    GOOD JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Box Tops! This is really awesome! I remember box tops, but I don't think that I ever collected them. I definitely didn't know too much about them... But, General Mills does sound like they have it all together. I like how you mentioned that when General Mills reaches new consumers, it is not just for their profitable benefit, but they are trying to reach out to others so that children can get a good education. Just from reading this one post, I can definitely see how ethical this company is. Do they have any other programs that they do that benefits other areas? Or are their main goals just to benefit education?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love box tops when I was a kid. My mom is an elementary school teacher and she STILL collects box tops, randomly I will just find some laying around the house. I think that General Mills has been around long enough to know what works and what will really get the majority of people involved.

    Teaming up with Barnes and Noble is also a great way to reach even more children. I don't know about you, but Barnes and Noble has my personal favorite kid section in their stores. They know what will help keep children entertained and what will keep them reading. Barnes and Noble is a very wise partner to have when your trying to get the attention of a young audience, but Barnes and Noble also knows how to keep the attention of their adult followers as well, like having a Starbucks in almost all of their stores definitely doesn't hurt.

    From what your telling me, General Mills has it pretty figured out. Such a generous company makes me wonder about their background stories, like why they are so willing to help out education with no obvious plan for profit? Other than the obvious reasons, like it being the right thing to do, but I wonder if they have personal reasons for their actions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to collect box tops when i was in Elementary school. General Mills is so great! What other companies do you know of that would do something as selfish as this? When General Mills decides to make a promotion or advertise their product, they do it totally without thinking of themselves and instead about their customers and community. This shows how much they really do care and what they will do to be a great company. As you said, they werent doing it to get their name out there, they only wanted to do the right thing. This is a great article for your argument about General Mills being a great company. They know how things work and what the people want.

    I also love how Barnes and Noble got on the bandwagon and started doing their own thing. That is another company that has good intentions and always keeps their customers in mind. More companies need to take a look at how Barnes and Noble and General Mills do things. If every company did it that way, everyone would be happy and there would be so much more given back to the community!

    ReplyDelete