Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Which is Better?!





LUCKY CHARMS LOW-FAT GRANOLA
147 Calories 345
1.3g Fat 4.5g
29.3g Carbs 73.5g
14.7g Sugars 27g
2.7g Protein 6g
1.3g Fiber 4.5g

This is a published chart from an article comparing General Mills' Lucky Charms to Kellogg's Low-Fat Granola. I was very shocked when I read this article and it was actually one of the reasons I decided to choose General Mills as the company I would use for this whole class.
"Sugary cereal enriched with marshmallows in the shape of rainbows and pots of gold, or crunchy granola cereal with raisins sprinkled throughout?" said Peng, the author. It would sup rise anyone to see these sort of statistics. If I had not read the facts myself I would have definitely doubted the facts but they are clearly proved in the chart.
What this says to me about these two different companies is that one genuinely cares about their customers by watching the nutrition in there cereal, and the other acts like they care by portraying a false image to their consumers.
When someone walked down the aisle at the supermarket they would look at the granola and think to themselves that that is definitely the healthier choice by not picking the Lucky Charms which look completely unhealthy. What is so incredible to think about is that if someone was watching their weight and picked the "low-fat" granola, they would very likely be adding more to their weight than they would if they had picked the supposedly "sugary" cereal.

This will help me in all of my arguments because this again just shows how ethical General Mills is. They know that people like the sugary taste of Lucky Charms but do not want to have to deal with gaining weight or being unhealthy. So they play to those needs by giving it the taste everyone desires and making it healthy enough that their consumers won't have to feel guilty about eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment